Has spending more time with your loved one during lockdown made you more romantic and feel more in love? Maybe it’s made you think more about that all-important proposal or have you used the time to propose already?
This is a moment that you will both remember for the rest of your lives, and you will need to find that perfect ring to accompany this unforgettable gesture and Goldsmiths are at hand to help! We have put together some simple guidelines which will help you do just that.
What is her style?
Now it is time to start taking notice of the jewellery your partner wears on a day to day basis. Do they have a favorite item of jewellery? If so, you should be able to gauge whether they like simple elegant pieces or dramatic statement pieces.
- Other half’s swap their jewellery day to day to suit what they’re wearing? Look to a traditional solitaire ring
- If your partner does not tend to wear too much jewellery or they seem to wear the same pieces every day, it is likely they will enjoy wearing a statement piece such as a halo ring
- If you have been looking online together recently and they drop hints about the styles they like, or points out significant rings whilst shopping, take note!
Once you have figured out what kind of style she likes, you will then need to decide on the stone. If you are looking for something classic, we suggest the diamond – look at our 4 C’s guide, this will inform you on everything you need to know when looking for the right diamond.
- If you are searching for something slightly different and maybe with a touch of colour, we have a range of ruby, sapphire and emerald stones that may take your fancy
You will also need to figure out which shaped stone you are going to choose.
- The round diamond is a classic choice representing endless love in marriage, loved by brides with a classic sense of style.
- Oval shaped diamonds indicate creativity and individuality for those women who are fairly traditional, but also like to take risks.
- The pear shape which attracts ambitious women with a unique yet soft feminine style.
- An emerald shaped diamond which has a timeless nature and sophisticated look.
- The princess cut diamond for those with a strong sense of leadership and somebody who loves to be admired and has fun.
- Finally, we have the marquise, which is a very dramatic and impactful shaped diamond, perfect for the woman who lives her life full of energy, excitement, and adventure.
Do they have a favorite metal colour?
The choice of metal is one of the most important choices when it comes to selecting the perfect ring. If your partner wears all white gold jewellery, then it is unlikely that she will want a yellow gold engagement ring and vice versa.
- A yellow gold ring is best for those who enjoy vintage styles and a timeless classic design.
- White gold is a timeless metal for those who like traditional, understated yet elegant styles.
- Platinum, which is a similar look to white gold, but a hard-wearing metal.
Consider a bridal set?
When choosing an engagement ring, taking into consideration the wedding band, and how that may fit together with an engagement ring is important. For example, a larger diamond or stone in the engagement ring may sit lower than a smaller stone, therefore potentially covering part of a wedding band. This may be uncomfortable to wear as it may lift the engagement ring slightly above the band and may also end up damaging or scratching the wedding band due to the constant friction of the overlap. Plus, if you have bought a wedding ring with tiny diamonds around the band, wouldn’t it be a shame if the engagement ring laps over and covers them for the most part?
- A perfectly designed bridal set will take into consideration the shape and size of the engagement ring, and the band will be created to work in tangent with that shape.
It is important to take your time when it comes to finding that perfect ring…there is no rush! Carefully consider the factors highlighted above and get some advice if needs be. We are now lucky that our Goldsmiths stores have re-opened and we are taking appointments. Therefore, one of our dedicated jewellery specialists would be happy to sit with you to discuss your requirements, we are confident we can help support you find what you are looking for.